Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Trouble in Paradise--A Frothy Delight!

This is why we started this project! To discover little gems that otherwise I never would ever watch in a million years. I also saw Shop Around the Corner and am mocked to this day by my friend for liking You've Got Mail better. But this was charming, sharp fun. I loved the banter, I loved the clothes, and I loved the little Marxist man who came out of nowhere to say "Phooey"! And to pick up an earlier thread, I think this movie is the BEST for women we've encountered so far. It would have been super easy to make the posh princess a caricature, but she had a real depth and presence. And it was funny as hell. The first movie so far I would own, for sure! So a question for my brainmate: if we were going to update this one, who would we cast? I'll start: I think Clooney should be front and center.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh. Good question. Despite my undying love for Clooney, I don't think I'd pick him. The first actor to come to mind for Gaston is Johnny Depp. I think Cate Blanchett for Lily and Marion Cotillard for Madame Colet. Maybe Robert Downey Jr. and Clooney as Francois and The Major since the imaginary film clearly has no budget at all :)

    ReplyDelete