Saturday, April 21, 2012

Silver Lode (1954)

I have a history with this movie, though I've never seen it. Last year, at the Pop Culture Association conference in San Antonio, my dad and I went to a panel that was discussing one of his favorite films, "The Americanization of Emily." Another presenter was talking about this movie, specifically its parallels to and critique of McCarthyism. Which is all well and good, except the clip he showed WAS THE MOST ABSURD SCENE IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA. It was a "posse," running ridiculously down the street, followed by two "gunslingers" firing at each other from a distance of about five feet, and missing badly. My dad and I TO THIS DAY make fun of this scene. And now, Nat and I are going to watch the whole damn thing. Of course, the presentation also included an interview with Martin Scorsese, who expressed unfettered admiration for the film. So I guess it could go either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment