Friday, October 15, 2010

The Battle of San Pietro (1945)

Good news: Directed by John Huston, who gave us The Maltese Falcon, The African Queen, and a movie called Freud: The Secret Passion, which I can't believe I haven't seen yet. Bad news: It's yet another war documentary. Good news: Some material was deemed too "disturbing" for the viewing public. Bad news: It was framed as a propaganda film and features voice-over narration. I loathe voice-over narration. Good news: The attempt to detach the footage from an overall patriotic narrative and instead ground the experience of combat in the lived experience of the soldiers. Bad news: The cover does not bode well. Remember Mark W. Clark from Pig?

1 comment:

  1. Other good news: John Huston is also the director of the fantastic "The Dead" (also on the list) and the doc is only a tad over 30 minutes.

    Other bad news: This is another difficult to find film with it's only DVD appearance that I could find being on a disc with 3 other war docs.

    Ha! I don't believe that you've never seen the Freud movie! I haven't either but that's kinda your thing :)

    ReplyDelete