Saturday, December 17, 2011

Downfall (2004)

This nominee for best Foreign Language Film chronicles Hitler's last ten days. You know, when he was in that bunker. The film details the Fuhrer's increasing psychopathology and paranoia, as he refuses to surrender to the Allies even though everyone realizes the war has been lost, and eventually proves willing to sacrifice his own people in order to "win." It got rather bloody in that bunker towards the end, and I'm anticipating this film is going to be pretty intense. Though I have not yet seen it, I have seen the infamous tantrum scene, mainly because it spawned a slew of Internet parodies. The film is notable because it features Hitler as a speaking role and fully formed character--one of the last remaining taboos in German cinema about World War 2. I have to admit, I'm intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment