Sunday, September 11, 2011

Harold and Maude (1971)

This was one of my grandfather's favorite movies. And I've seen it before, and loved my grandfather my whole life, and I still don't get it. I'm not only baffled that Grampy dug it so much (he was always more of a Charles Bronson type), but when I watched it several years ago, it didn't resonate with me the way it does for so many people I love and respect. And there's a lot to recommend this film--it's an unconventional love story between a suicidal teen and a bon vivant geriatric, and its comedy is pitch black. There would be no "Heathers" without "Harold and Maude." I think it might be one of those you either worship it or you don't feel it flicks. But it's a serious cult favorite, and the AFI has showered it with all sorts of love, so I'm really hoping to like it better the second time around. I feel like being meh on Harold and Maude seriously damages any hipster/cinephile cred I might hope to someday wield.

No comments:

Post a Comment