Monday, September 19, 2011

Steamboat Bill Jr. (1928)

Contrary to what both Nat and I thought when Steamboat Bill Jr.'s number came up, this film is NOT a cartoon. Instead, it's our first silent feature-length movie-movie (Nanook being a doc). And it's a comedy, starring legendary Buster Keaton, who I know only from the Johnny Depp homage in Benny and Joon. Apparently, we're going to be treated to one of the most-famous and oft-quoted stunts in movie history, where a house falls over Keaton, with the attic window providing the narrowest of escapes for the actor's body. He performed the stunt himself, and could have been killed if he were standing slightly off his mark. I have a sneaking suspicion that might be the only dramatic moment. I'm not yet sold that silent films can be truly laugh-out-loud funny, but I'd really like to be proven wrong!

Links to Review Posts of this Film:
Tracy's "This is a comedy?"
Natalie's "Little to No Steam"

No comments:

Post a Comment